Sunday, July 22, 2007

little bit of veg.

Today I was able to make my first meal using many ingredients from the garden. I know it is pretty late in the season, but my garden is not near what I hoped it to be. We were way too ambitious this year. I think our ambition however is quite understandable given the small plot-o-land we have had to work with in previous years. So small... When our eyes gazed upon the acre after acre of green goodness that we now call our yard, we were instantly hit with grandiose ideas of living off our land. Sense never hit us as we loaded a couple hundred dollars worth of plants and seeds into our car. Neither did it hit us as we planted said seeds into the massive rectangle of earth that we had taken us weeks to dig up. It finally occurred to us that possibly we may have taken on too much when the seedlings began to grow... and so did the weeds. I am a strong believer of growing organically. Unfortunately for me and my beliefs, I have no real knowledge of botany. I cannot tell what is an eggplant seedling and what is a pesky weed. Not wanting to pull up my precious plants, we let them all grow. My garden looks like crap frankly. I have tried to pull up weeds since, but they have taken over. I give up this year. Next year I will try again, but my mantra will be mulch, mulch, mulch.

Anyhoo, I finally was able to find a few veggies that have grown in my little weed jungle and made a very nice and very gluten free dinner. I am now waiting for Troy to come home and be impressed. We are having:

- Glumpkies rolled in purple cabbage (old family recipe and oh so delicious)
- Creamy garlic cauliflower mash
- Chunky coleslaw
- Sweet vinegar cucumbers
- New potato, green beans, and caper salad

It always tastes so much better when the goods come from your own backyard.

No comments: