Thursday, September 13, 2007

Something must change.

After the dirt bike scenario the other evening, Troy and I got to ponder our situation. Over the past two months or so, we have had a lot of damage come to our personal belongings. So many things in fact that it has become kind of spooky. For example - the laptop I wrote about in an earlier post being stolen and a window to Troy's truck being smashed in. I lost a necklace that meant a lot too me and smashed my phone to bits. Another instance that I have not previously mentioned is my car. Troy was driving it home from work the other night and hit a raccoon. It completely busted up (beyond saving) my grill and dented the front. We also have a little projector that we use to play movies on our wall for our Friday Family Fun Night every week... Ethan tipped it off the table and broke some of the front off. My point? That is a lot of things to break in matter of a few weeks, no?

We have come to the conclusion that this is no set of circumstances or plain coincidence. Our attention and affections have been misdirected lately and we better get our acts together.

It has always been such a difficult task for us to decide where in time we actually belong. There is one huge part of Troy and I that want to step back and enjoy simpler lives. Enjoy our family and the pure pleasure of being with each-other no matter what it is that we are actually doing. We love this side of our personalities and we are constantly attempting to widen that aspect in our daily walk. The other side however is pulled by the modern trends and the ever so persuasive need for stuff. Troy and I are in our twenties and obviously susceptible to advertising and the allure of 'keeping up with the Joneses. I can't say that I like this part so much.

I am beginning to believe that all of these crazy events are happening to grab our attention. We have come to a point where we have to make a decision as to path we wish follow. We can't keep doing this. Not only because I want to lead a well purposed life, but also because I am scared shitless that my house is going to be hit by a cyclone. Or that my car will some how roll into the lake and drown.

I think I am going to sell my phone. I cannot even get that much for it - now that stupid Apple lowered the price on them, but it would be more of a symbolic gesture anyhow. I don't even like to use it now - I am so afraid that I will drop it and the face will shatter again. Troy says not to be hasty, but I really want to go back to my pre stuff days.

Troy is not going to replace his computer either. We are going to share mine. I will just have to trust him not to hurt my baby, I mean, er, my computer. BUT, just in case he somehow sets it ablaze by leaving it too close to the coffee maker or some such other absurd happening takes place - I now have rental insurance.

2 comments:

WONDERWOMAN said...

I know what you mean about living simply. I live in a community in which that is all our goals. I am the cook and we pool our money together then I cook the meals, which consists of a lot of rice beans and veggies in various different ways. We are also moving to India so I have been trying to go through my stuff to really get rid of things I don't need. You seem to have a pretty good perspective on the value of living a simple life.

erin said...

I love that. I am always amazed that when we move, and that when, without a doubt, our things remain in boxes for at least four months - that we never even miss them. How much do we really need?