Sunday, September 23, 2007

a little good karma.

There have been many changes in our house since we decided to do away with television four months ago or so. We originally gave up the service not due to convictions nor even financial purposes, but more a kind of laziness. That seems strange, even to type - giving up t.v. (the gateway drug to prolonged lethargy) due to having little/no motivation? But it be the truth. We had the popular bundle of cable, internet, & digital phone services. Two out of the three were rubbish. I almost was never access the internet - which for a net junkie like myself, can be a little frightening fo people that have no choice but be in my company. The phone worked, but only if you did not need the person on the other end to hear a single word that you spoke. People were constantly hanging up on us, thinking that the call was 'lost'. True testament of laziness: we kept the service for about 10 months before finally switching providers. The switch took me all of twenty minutes, but that seemed un doable within those first ten months. So finally I switched us. Goodbye Comcast, hello whatever company we go through now. When doing away with internet and phone, my bundle was unraveled - leaving me with a not very likable cable cost and even worse than that, an additional check to be mailed out each month. Screw that business, so out went t.v.

The change has went very smoothly in my opinion. I feared that I would be really out of my freaking mind bored, but not so. I always can find something to do (you were right mom and dad!) and usually still find myself lacking for time to get things done. I had expected to see a change in Marnie, but there has not really been much of one. I think she was too young still to be really attached to television. She continues to watch videos occasionally. She doesn't ask for any of the annoying toys that are on the market though since she is not viewing any of the wicked advertising geared towards her, which is pleasant. I am sure this is only temporary however. She is sure to see things that her friends have and get a case of the "gimmes". As of right now though, since she only watches videos and most of said videos are from my collection as a kid, I do often get requests to go see movies that have been out past a decade. She's crazy about Rainbow Brite. And is currently absorbed in the world of Muppets and Fraggle Rock. Which is fine - that is until the heart retching day that a connection is made within her mind and she figures out that NOBODY watches what she does. Not one of her friends have a clue what she is talking about. Her family is a freak show and she is THAT kid.

It has been good for the husband and I too. It is not really very interesting though to anyone who is not Troy or I and undoubtedly is an obvious reaction to stated action. No t.v. = husband & wife actually talk = better marriage. You can be a dummy like me and still have predicted that one.

One of the changes I did not expect however is my new obsession for hunting new bands and artists to listen too. I spend quite a bit of time listening to songwriters and happening upon many soon to be favorites. I love this little bonus in my life. I have stumbled into quite a few that I cannot believe I did not previously know about. There is one annoying little detail though and no way to get past it - often times the music that I am instantly attracted to does not belong to any label. Meaning that there is no album for me to buy. Or, as often happens, the band is in another country and their work has not been released in the US. Such was the case for Amy Winehouse. I began listening to the songstress about a year ago which was before she was heard of over here. She had already had a hit record out and there was no way to download it (legally) here. It was not until 'Back to Black' came out in the US that I was finally able to listen to Amy without carting around my laptop. Her older album is still not available here. Today I heard a song while listening to BBC 2 and fell in love with it instantly. You can listen to it here: http://www.myspace.com/adelelondon The girl (Adele) is amazing, but does not have a record or even a single to be purchased. Myspace is the only place you can hear her unless you happen to be in South London and pop into one of her gigs. My thought is, if I talk about some of my finds, maybe it will put good vibes out and records will be released. It has always been my observation that whenever you discover a great band that is not well known and you are super cool for listening to them and being so 'indie' - that is when they become a huge success and start getting play on the radio. No one believes you that you listened to them before... what a poser you are. Geek. Now, I am hoping to use this inevitable usual suckery to work for me instead of against. We'll see. Check her out.

No comments: