Sunday, August 26, 2007

sadly, no.

As I have previously mentioned, I recently joined a Mom's group. Thus far, although my experience is limited, I have enjoyed the experience. I like that there are no judgments attached to whether you choose to work or stay home. If those two groups can coexist within a play-group setting than the club must at least be a little evolved and adequately open minded. I have no real feelings on the subject. I know I should - seeing as I am a stay-at-home-mom and all. I just cannot muster up an opinion. Opinions require reasoning, which I just do not have. If asked, I could probably name at least a dozen reasons as to why I choose to stay home with my kids. They would all be true mostly, but the real reason that I dedicate so much time and effort into the raising of my babes is that when five months pregnant with Marnie, I was fired from my job and no one else would take me. It just did not occur to me to to go forth and seek out a job once the baby was born. It is not principles you see, it is pure happenstance. I wonder if I would feel different about my position if I had made a conscious decision to leave my place of employment and put all of my time, intellect and resources into the care and safe keeping of the child I was to birth. Would I feel some great sense of purpose? Would I feel more accomplished at this moment and every other where my child is praised for their pure splendidness or would I feel deeper and more frequent pangs of guilt every time one of them acts like a big wad of snot that you just want to ditch? As it stands now, I don't feel that I am solely credited for either. I did not, as I mentioned, make this choice for myself. That thought also raises another in which I ponder where my falling into homemaker status ends and where my conscious choice to remain so begins. Obviously I could have returned to a job if I wished. I did not. I do not. If that was a stand I took, where are all of the convictions behind it?

No comments: