Friday, December 23, 2011

she likes me, she likes me not.

Today's act was a success and it felt good to do.  It is tricky to pull off acts of kindness this time of year since most people assume it is a Christmas present or some such thing.  It doesn't really matter what the thoughts are behind the receiver though I suppose - only the fact that I gave in the first place.  I have been trying to find ideas online about different ways I can surprise people with kind gestures.  Todays was pulled from one of the lists I read.  It had suggested giving flowers to a person at work that is normally over looked and under appreciated.  Seeing as I work in a salon, that would absolutely be the receptionist.  I called ahead by a few days to find out who was working and learned there would actually be two today.  One is a sweetheart and very easy to give to.  The other... well, let's just say that we have clashing personalities and try to avoid one another whenever possible.  This is felt on both sides I am sure.  An act is an act however, so I put on my big girl panties and decided to give to both.  I went out the other day and bought vases and some lovely river rocks.  I purchased two very pretty bouquets in a holiday theme.  I decided that in addition to the flowers, a personalized card of thanks would really put some emphasis on how much they are appreciated.  The one was easy.  The second required a little rubbing of my gratitude rock, but eventually the words came and I truly did have feelings of appreciation and wishes of joy for her and her family.

The easy one was there when I arrived and reacted exactly as you would assume one would.  The other arrived a few hours later - grumpy.  It was time for me to leave, so I took a private moment in another room to ground myself and make the choice that her mood would not effect me.  I gathered myself up and left for the day - not knowing if she even saw her flowers.

A few hours later I got a call.  It was a very nice call.  She told me about the bad week she was having and that perhaps the flowers made it a bit better.  I wished her a merry Christmas and that was that.  Maybe the seed has been planted.  Maybe a new relationship will grow or at least the old will change.  With one small gesture, a bit of time and some guts.

Stats:
Daily Points - 3
Extra - 0
Bonus - 0

No comments: