Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A new year is a comin'...

This year has been such a huge one for me.  Best in my thirty years I would think.  My life is a culmination of great blessings, outrageous joys and limitless jubilation.  I want to share what I have.  I want to do more than share.  I want to connect with people and bring about some kindness in a local and very personal way.  I have had the thought and I feel the motivation deep within and there is nothing to do but simply act...  And act I will.  This blog is being reborn.  Right now and at this very minute.  I am committing myself here and to you.  I intend to share my love, good fortune, and abundant blessings in a big (to me at least way).  I want to document my journey to keep myself accountable, track my progress and selfishly get creative inspirations from you fine folk out there that are kind enough to read my blog.  I begin to day but first perhaps a bit of background on myself and then the rules I suppose... There may be some info on this blog about me from years ago when it first began, but I am not the same gal who discarded my happenings in the past, so some newer info may be helpful.  I am Erin.  I like to sign my name with a lowercase e however - not sure if that says anything about me or not.  I am newly 30 and very in love with my husband of 8 years (Troy).  We have two quirky and amazing children who inspire and teach me every day.  Marnie is my girl and Ethan is my boy.  They are seven and five respectively.  I am an artist most of the time, a hair stylist part of the time, and a life lover all of the time.  We live in beautiful northern Michigan and enjoy the summer months enormously.  Our dream is to one day live in small abode in Hawaii during the winter whilst homeschooling our kids and return home to our quaint town in the warmer weather.  I would love that to happen sooner rather than later, but am happily living here now.  My husband is in the restaurant business and is in the starting stages of a new venture.  We can talk about that some other time though.  We have some animals - they're pretty neat too, but I will also save them for a later date.  In an effort to stay on the path intended, I am going to move onto the rules... but first let me say that I reserve the right to amend these at any time if I deem fit.  Okay, here we go:

I will preform an act of kindness at least once a day for the next 376 days.  That will take us to the 1st of January 2013.  I do not want to wait until the New Year.

I will preform an additional 24 acts of kindness throughout the year to bring my goal up to 400.  I can go over but there is no banking of points.  One act must be done, regardless of how small, each and every day.

I will encourage and attempt to inspire my husband and children to follow my lead and keep track of their happenings with *bonus* points.  Their acts are simply that - bonus.  They will not count towards my own goals.

There is no prize at the end.  I truly am doing this just to share and in my deepest of hopes - maybe inspire.

I will record my doings here.  I am shooting for daily but blogging is not the most important part of this challenge.  I will be completely honest with you - even if I am doing poorly.  I pray for myself that it will not be the case however.  I am also going to write a lot about my daily life and what is going on in it.  Part of this experiment is seeing how this project changes my family and specifically myself.  At this exact moment I do not have a sad story.  My life is pretty great and happy.  What can happen in a year?  I am curious too.

In regards to being completely honest in my posts - I may need to change some names.  I do not want to embarrass anyone and I do indeed plan on smothering people I know in kindness as well.  You are just going to have to be okay with that.  I am also going to try to keep my activities local.  I love big charities and think they do a lot of good, but I want to see what I can do here in my hometown.  I also want everyone to benefit not solely the destitute.  We try to buy locally as much as possible so why not also give locally as much as possible?

I am sure I am going to have more to add but for now that shall do.  I am off to do my first act and will be back later this evening with the tale.

No comments: