Tuesday, December 27, 2011

lotto and run.

Let me tell you about Christmas Eve.  I have, in the past, adopted families for Christmas and bought toys for needy tots.  I have participated in Operation Christmas Child and picked angel ornaments off trees in order to provide a gift for someone who otherwise might not have received one.  One year I even organized a 'Cut-A-Thon' in which a bunch of stylists and myself did haircuts on the masses from our town and then donated the proceeds to a family of four boys whose mom dies of brain cancer a week before Christmas.  I am no stranger to harnessing the power of the Christmas Spirit.  However, never have I left my good deeds up to fate the way my family and I did on Christmas Eve and as my project intends.  Never have I given willy nilly without any background information or careful selection of the recipient.  It was shakes inducing and my trust was absolutely tested.

As I wrote in an earlier post, the fam and I decided to put $100 towards a random stranger's purchase at our local discount super center.  This idea in theory sounded like a great idea.  We have donated much more money to adopted families in Christmas' past than $100, so what's the big deal?  There have many stories on the news reporting that people were paying off random layaways.  I think that is a fabulous idea and I wish we had thought about it prior to Christmas Eve.  Layaway gives me the impression that a person likely has need to pay a big purchase off over a few smaller payments.  This gives the giver some sort of indication that the gift may be appreciated.  It's like insurance.  We decided not to take out that policy though.  I did not happen to hear of the trend until the night prior to Christmas Eve and by that time I would assume that most people have collected their goods in order to wrap them for the big day.  If by some chance there were a few left at the store, I would think it likely they would forever remain at the store - unclaimed.  I did that once.  I tried on and loved something like 20 dresses when I was a teenager and put them all on layaway.  I handed over the $40 I had at the time and promised to pay the rest of eventually.  I never went back.  In fact I moved out of state.  Good intentions but I couldn't follow through.  That would be my biggest worry - that I would pay it, it would go unclaimed and then the big corporate store would get to keep my money AND the stuff.  I understand that it is about the action and not what happens with the gift, but I am still working on that.

So instead, we went with a donation towards a real, live, in the flesh kind of person who was finishing up their procrastination shopping.  We had discussed the few ways in which we could make the payment without rejection or causing the receiver any embarrassment.  We decided the best way was to purchase a gift card and then on our way out of the store give it to someone in the checkout lane with the tagline: "There is a couple of bucks left on this, would you like it?  We don't get to this side of town often."  Simple, yes?  Well that was the plan.

We arrived at the strip mall where the store is located and split up.  Troy took the kids to the dollar store where they needed to buy a few last minute gifts and I headed to the superstore to pick up some items for dinner the next day and the gift card.  As soon as I walked through the sliding doors my stomach began to rumble and I felt sick and nervous.  $100 is a lot of money to just give to someone for no reason.  I mean, what if the universe is not listening and we choose the wrong person?  Like a child molester or a Republican.  It was such a crapshoot.  I silently asked for a sign.  At that moment I looked up and spotted my cousin Barb.  Barb lives in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan in a town many hours away from us.  Her parents live  in a town nearby, but we never see them.  I stopped her and we embraced and talked of life.  She told me she was just thinking of my dad (he died in an accident of sorts in June 2009).  I told her I had just been thinking of her the day before.  I had a previous by chance run in with her the year prior at a different store and had been wondering if she was in town.  It is amazing how such things work that way.  We exchanged digits and parted ways.  I finished my shopping a neared the checkout.  The gift cards live there.  Sucking in a deep breath, I picked one up.  Surely that was a sign.  Or was it a coincidence?  By leap of faith I bought that card.

I trekked down the cement walk that linked each store entrance to the next.  I contemplated my nervous tummy and what it meant.  Spying the up coming bookstore that was in my path, I decided to dash in for a cup of coffee before meeting the rest of my troop and carrying out our mission.  Someone was ordering and I fell in line behind him.  He was inquisitive and asking the barista many questions about the pastry.  I paid attention and little attention and then great attention as I noticed that he too was yet another one of my father's cousins.  This one I had not laid eyes on since the day we laid my father to rest.  It was lovely to see him and it calmed my nervous stomach as well as my spirit.  Of course there are greater things at work than me and my selfish worries.  There is a plan.  I can either be part of the good or step back and let life happen beside me.  That is my role and I get to choose.  After wishing my cousin a Merry Christmas, I skipped like a six year old out of the store to gather my brood.

We stalked the crowds of the superstore upon our return and looked for the perfect scenario.  We headed to the toy section first but found it nearly empty.  We moved on to the groceries only to discover many carts filled with two or three items each.  Everyone was on their game this year.  No procrastinators to be found.  Ethan had a bit of money burning in his pocket and had the desire for a wallet, so we decided to allow him to make his purchase and then intended to wait up in the front of the store where we would have a better view of the registers.  On our way to cash out we saw her.  A lovely lady checking out by herself.  The grocery belt was full of goods as was her cart.  There were toys and food and boxed gifts with included tags.  She was perfect.  Ethan paid and then displayed his bag as if to show 'See?  We really did do some shopping'.  Quickly and without thinking I slip in beside her at the register and gave her my line about the few bucks left on the card.  She took it and we scrambled out the door before she could finish loading her cart back up with her bagged goods.  Did she appreciate it?  I don't know.  We left.  Does it matter?  No, it doesn't.  We gave and that is indeed what matters.  I hope she did and I can dream she did.  But the lesson is the same to my children regardless of the outcome.  The lesson is the same to me too.

As for today, I did a fun little give.  I am sure this will be a repeat offender as I found childlike joy in the activity.  I bought some scratch off lotto tickets and then left them under the wipers of a few cars.  I attacked at the bank and then again at the courthouse.  I had to open my business account and apply for my DBA respectively and incorporated my acts.  There was a fun element of sneakiness due to the fact that there are lots of people just sitting in cars in the parking lots of both places.  People do not take kindly to you messing with cars, so doing business quickly and then running away so you are not caught is the best option in my opinion.  It was fun and each time I left one my daughter squealed with absolute delight.  The fun is rubbing off already.

Stats:
Daily Points - 7
Extra - 1
Bonus - 0